Answer by Raakhee Venugopal:
*sigh* My name has been a subject of much debate and discussion for various reasons. I’ll try and list out a few…
- My name isn’t a popular one in the south of India, where I come from. It is a Bengali name and I get asked if my mother is a Bengali.
- When I tell someone my name over the telephone, they repeat it invariably as one of the following…
- Iraqi (Wha…?!)
- ‘Weird spelling. Numerology,eh?‘ Duh! No.
- ‘Why does it have so many As and Es?‘ I don’t know. That’s the way it is to be pronounced. Probably that’s why.
- I had a college mate named Ragi. When the common floor telephone in our hostel rang, the receiver would yell out ‘CALL FOR RAAKHEE/RAGI’ and both of us would come rushing out of our rooms to take the call. We’d find out who the call was for only after one of us had attended it -_-