Answer by Raakhee V. Menon:
Thank you for the A2A.
I was mildly amused by this question because I was at a loss as to which one to write about 😛 I have so many opinions that is not just likely, but is very heavily unpopular 😀 But I’m not at all apologetic about it. It’s only an opinion. It’s not like I’m going to implement it as a law of the land or anything. Time for a few disclaimers before I delve deeper…
- My opinion is influenced only by my life experiences. Not by what somebody else says.
- My opinions are my own and I don’t impose them on anyone or expect anyone to share them.
- I do not state my opinions unless specifically asked for them…like at instances like right now.
Right, so that’s cleared. Let’s look at a few of them…
- I don’t believe in any form of reservations anywhere on any other basis other than their financial situation.
- Promiscuity/Infidelity/Adultery is an unforgivable offence in my eyes. Once you commit yourself to someone, cheating on them with another person is the dirtiest thing you could do. I do not associate myself with such individuals. Having a physical relationship with anyone you fancy is like how the animals do it. Sex is not like taking a dump, where you feel the need to relieve yourself and you do so at any toilet that you spot. I cannot bring myself to think of it that way.
- I don’t believe in being possessive about anyone. We do not ‘own’ any other human beings other than our own children who are actually a part of our own bodies, but are just walking outside our bodies. Nobody else ‘belongs’ to you to lay claim on them.
- I give a lot of importance to how a person presents themselves. Yes, external appearances matter. Nobody likes to wear a precious stone in its ore form, do they? Imagine wearing a huge hideous grey colored stone around your neck and assuming that people would know there’s a diamond inside. Like duh!
- I don’t believe in women changing their surnames post marriage. What are we? Plots of land? Cattle? Why this open show of change of ‘ownership’? What happens if the relationship doesn’t work out? Women go back to taking their maiden surnames. And then they get married again. And again the surname changes. Like how demeaning is that? I don’t know how many people would be aware of this. Among the Arabs here in the middle east, the women do not change their surnames post marriage. They continue to be known as their father’s daughters forever. I don’t find anything wrong in that.
- I don’t agree with abortion, unless it is a medical emergency (deformed foetus). It’s a life you’re killing, effectively making you a murderer. That baby did not ask to be brought into this world. Two people want to have ‘fun’ and fool around irresponsibly, and when a baby happens as a result, they panic and go and scrape the innocent thing out. In my eyes, this is inhuman and cruel. If you didn’t want a baby, then either take proper precautions or just don’t have sex at all. Killing an innocent life just for your comfort is just barbaric. If you think about all those women who cry themselves to sleep every night because they cannot conceive a child, you would not feel like killing something that God has given you, even though it was out of your own stupidity.
- I think people who use vulgar vocabulary are uncouth and not fit to have a conversation with. If they think that they have to use such language to garner a person’s attention, then that speaks volumes about the quality of what they have to say.
- I can’t stand public displays of affection just for the sake of exhibitionism. I mean, hey, we get it that you both are having a great relationship. But what’s the necessity to show your love to the entire world? Kissing in public is particularly irritating. Now don’t give me the stupid back comment – “so pissing in public is fine, but kissing is not?”. Kissing is an expression of love. Pissing is relieving a full bladder because you don’t want to dirty your clothes. Love is a very private emotion for me. It is not something to be advertised and put up for public judgement. Any emotion that needs a public opinion is one that is built on a rickety foundation. It’s like you need a few claps of appreciation just to tell yourself that you’re going great. Every time I see a couple kissing or even holding hands, the first thing they do after they’re done is to look around and see how many people saw them. The more the merrier -_- If they see that a lot of people have noticed it, they have this smug smile on their faces. It makes me wonder what’s the intent behind this PDA. Is it out of love or is it for getting public ‘likes’? This also goes for couples who live together wishing each other and sending love notes to each other on Facebook -_- Whatever happened to privacy, guys? This is like putting love letters on the school notice board! O_O
There are many more but I’m not going to go there. I know I’m going to stir up a hornet’s nest with my opinions. But it’s okay. Go ahead and call me regressive and horrible and whatnot. I’m okay with it. Like I said, my opinions are entirely my own. I’m not asking anyone to share them, nor will I thrust them upon anyone. What I think is me exercising my right to freedom of thought.